Tautoro School New Tohu
Today was the first day of term 2, I didn’t know what was going to happen it was like my mind was racing with different ideas as soon as I walked thought the gates I saw the pou covered with an wariki on top of it “Bring,Bring,Bring” as the bell rang
We were all in awe and waiting with baited breath. We are so thankful for our Kuia and Kaumatua who were with the students to unveil our beautiful taonga.
Present at the ceremony Matua Mitai, Nanny Winnie, Nanny Toti, and our carver extraordinaire Eric Wihongi.
Everything was explained to the students before the unveiling took place. Nanny Winnie lead the way by telling us what was going to happen, and whether or not we had any questions. Of course our teina had questions, “How long did it take to carve?” “Why did you carve it?” Thankfully the junior students were directed to the person who carved the tohu.
The person who was given the privilege of unveiling the tohu me because I am currently the oldest student at Tautoro School.
I thought that this was a really great opportunity for me, as we all know it’s something you will never forget.
Matua Mitai lead our karakia and himene. It was after that when Kohuroa unveiled our tohu. We all stood there, looking up with pride pumping in our hearts, some students smiling and someone almost cried but the majority just stood with awe.
Matua Eric explained to us what the carving meant. “The carving represents the twelve waka hoe that we use here at our school. It is the symbol for our learning and is wholly supported by our parents and community here at Tautoro School. This special carving is made from kauri and symbolises the strength mana and prestige of our school.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.